The Hailstorm as it approached from the SW
Last Thursday a wicked Hailstorm hit Golden Valley County with anywhere from pea size hail in the town of Ryegate, ping-pong ball size in the town of Lavina, to baseball size in the SW Corner of the County. Damage to pasture, crops, buildings, equipment and vehicles were extensive in many of the Southern areas of the County.
Thanks to several storms in May and so far, in June, Golden Valley County is beautifully green and becoming accented with yellow from the wild clover beginning to bloom. Things were looking pretty dismal in the area come the 1st of May with next to no precep for months. What grass had managed to start growing was short and starting to look stressed, but, our weather did a dramatic change and we have been blessed with regular rain since. Just this week one storm dumped over 1.25 inches of rain in less than an hour in our area.
A couple of changes have been made to the line-up of activites during ‘RYEGATE DAYS’ the weekend of June 7-9. The Ryegate Fireman will be holding a Bon-Fire Friday night, but S’mores will not be furnished. Those attending the Bon-Fire are more than welcome to bring their own ingredients for S’mores if they desire. Sunday morning breakfast WILL NOT be served by the Ryegate Fire Department.
Beginning May 22, 2013 Swimming Woman Road will be open to motorized traffic, but will be signed to alert traffic that the road is considered Hazardous, and drivers use the road at their own risk. Traffic on this roadway must stay on the roadway itself or they will be cited for trespass.
Work on this road is expected to resume on or around June 1, 2013 to complete the project.
Swimming Woman Road is currently open to motorized traffic from Judith Gap Road north to where Swimming Woman Creek crosses the road at the old Bill Weber place. Changes to the status of this road may take place this week, and will be posted here as they occur.
The Annual Ryegate Testicle Festival is celebrating it’s 30th anniversary this year and will be joined by “Ryegate Days” a family-friendly festival featuring all sorts of fun and events! Some of these will include:
Friday June 7th:
* Contribute on Monday and pick up your Bountiful Basket on Friday night!
* Bonfire in the City Park–hot dogs and s’mores served by the
Ryegate Volunteer Fire Department
* Live Band ~ Cimarron at the Ryegate Bar
Saturday June 8:
* Flea Market and Craft Vendors in the park and Town wide Garage Sale
* Bounce House for the kids
* Ryegate Gun Club Open House 10 am – 2 pm
* Afternoon Softball Game at the Track field for interested folks
* 30th Annual Testicle Festival 5 pm @ Ryegate Bar–Old-Fashioned Potluck!
Bring a dish to share.
* Live Band ~ Classic Country Connection
Sunday June 9:
* Breakfast available served by the Ryegate Volunteer Fire Department
* 11 am Cowboy Church in the Park
* Darts and Pool available at Fleck’s Bar
* Free Camping
* Watersports and fishing at Deadman’s Basin less than 15 minutes away.
For more info visit: Facebook.com/RyegateDays
The County has been notified the contractor working on Swimming Woman Road will resume work in June. Please call the Courthouse for the current status of this roadway.